Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blessing in Disguise

I never thought I would see the day that Harris can actually sit for hours to read! I am so grateful and excited that it finally happened. Danial and Yasmin are definitely crazy about reading and Hannah is beginning to follow their footsteps too. Sometimes Hannah reads while walking and I hope she will not fall doing that. Anyway, back to Harris. He is so addicted to the computer games and it really worries me. A week ago he did something that was really upsetting to me and I banned him from the games for one whole week. I guess out of boredom he started playing outdoors with my neighbor's son everyday after school. Then at night he picked up a book by Anthony Horowitz's the Power of Five series and he fell in love with it. He finished the Evil Star in 4 days! For Harris to be able to read a 240-page book that fast is really a record time! If Danial or Yasmin did that it would not be unusual. It is so true that computer games are really stealing our kids' valuable time. I do not want to be left behind so as to go against the technology but I guess everything has its draw back. Though his one-week ban has been lifted yesterday, I am pleased to see that he still read the 3rd book of that series last night. He told me that Horowitz is definitely his favorite author for now. I even took a picture of him reading (below) as a proof :)

2 comments:

yani said...

I know what you mean. My julia is has been having problem sleeping at night since December after having a horrible nightmare. To make her go back to her normal routine, we took her computer, DS, TV privileges away until she gets back to sleep all through the night. It was amazing to see how much things has changed. She has started to read more n spend more time on the piano too...even now,( she gets her 1 hour a day of either computer, DS or TV time) that she gets her privileges back, she would rather play on the pinao...so my house is now filled with the sound of music..me like :)

Family Memoirs said...

Salam Yani. So sorry I missed this comment of yours. You are my loyal fan hehehe. All the machines are not good for us at all. They are the biggest thief (stealing our time!). I am so happy because of that punishment, Harris has become an avid reader. Even now, when he can play games and all, he still finds time to read. I guess he has found a favorite author too. Is Juju really good at playing piano? I am still learning. Even after 2 years, I am still crawling on the keys. That's why people say, if we want to learn something, we better do it while we are still young. But then again, it's better late than never, right?