Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Impatience Cost Me 900 Ringgits

Cracked and scratched bumper

The month of July has always been the busiest month at the College. This is the time when we welcome new as well as the returning students. Last Thursday (9 July) was the registration for the returning students for our homegrown programs. As I was the person in charge for the event, I wanted to be at work earlier than usual. Unfortunately, things did not work the way I planned it to be. I was running a bit late, and I had to send my kids to school before going to the office. I took the normal road I usually take every morning which is a short cut. There was a car in front of me at the junction into the 4-lane highway. He was waiting forever, trying to wait until the road was completely empty before he would cross to innermost lane. I lost my patience so I overtook him and dashed to the road and boom, I hit a dark gray Proton aero-back. I was panicked. The other driver came out to inspect the damage to his car and looked at mine too. He asked me to move to the other side of the road so we could discuss about the next course of action. I did and we settled the problem. He would send his car to the workshop in Indera Mahkota and would let me know how much I had to pay. So I drove my kids to school and then to work. I was 2 minutes late. Around mid morning, while working at the registration, the driver called and informed me that the cost to repair his car was RM700.00! He had to have a paint job and the left back door had to be replaced. Then in the evening Steve and I went to the workshop nearby our house to have our car checked. The mechanic told us it would be around 200 Ringgits to paint and fix the front bumper. I am grateful that the headlight didn’t break, otherwise it would cost more. The sad thing is that the bumper was just replaced not too long ago because Steve hit a stump while parking at a wedding. The good part is that none of my children or myself got hurt. Life is definitely more precious than money…



3 comments:

l i e y n said...

RM700? biar betul!!!!hopefully dia tak tipu kak mahani...kereta proton je kan?

Family Memoirs said...

Tak taulah Lin, dah lepas malas nak kenang. Akak gi tengok kete tu kat workshop tu, workmanship dia memang class. That guy used to get perodua contract. Upah dia yang mahal, barangnya not really. Memang hari duit nak mengalir keluar. Pengajarannya, kena kuat sabar, ye?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.