Sunday, March 8, 2009

February 2009

Wow, there is hardly any notes being jotted down in my planner for this month except for a few activities during weekends. Danial had his first guitar lesson on Friday 6 Feb from 4.30 to 5 pm. Yasmin and Hannah have art class on Fridays also, from 4.15 to 6.15pm. Harris used to enroll in that class but he quit. He told us he likes to draw and paint but he doesn’t like the do's and the don’t’s in that class. That sounds very much like Harris.

On 8 Feb we went to visit Husni and Melor’s new baby. They named her Zainab, a very classic name for this era. In fact all their kids have classic names such as Khadijah, Omar, Hassan, and the new comer Zainab. It’s very rare for Muslims in Malaysia to name their kids with those names these days. Yours truly is also guilty as charged. Anyway, we also got a chance to visit with Khadijah (a close friend of Yasmin), who just came back for vacation, for 2 weeks. She is currently studying in Egypt.

On Saturday 14 Feb, I went for a morning walk with my friend Faridah whom I have not seen for months. We used to walk together almost every weekend until she was transferred first to Ampang, and now Temerloh. It was great to see her again. I was able to walk on that day because my piano lesson which was supposed to be at 9 am, was delayed until 11 am. That night, Faridah, my son Danial and I went bowling at the Premium lane. It was full and we had to wait until 11pm to be able to bowl. While waiting Danial and I played pool. We played 2 games of bowling. I don’t remember their scores anymore but mine was 101 and 115. For someone who hasn’t gone bowling for months or perhaps more than a year, that was pretty good. I took a bowling class when I was doing my undergraduate degree at Indiana University. Somewhere in the middle of the semester, I scored the highest score in my life which was 290! I have never even come close to it since then. I would love to get that score again. In those days we recorded our score on a piece of paper called score sheet. I should have kept the sheet and framed it!

The next day, Sunday 15 Feb, I went to my friend Hamahani’s salon near Bukit Goh to do facial (after many months of not doing it!). While there I had my hair cut also. Najla also cut her hair. Actually, sometime within that week, I told Najla of my plan to cut my hair and she said she wanted to cut hers too. I tried to convince her not to do it in fear of losing her curls. It happened to Hannah before. She lost all her curls after we cut her hair short. Najla was determined to cut it and she told me, “It’s ok, my hair is not important, but the Quran is”. Hmm… I took some pictures of her before and after hair cut.





I went for Sukan MARA selection of players for ping pong at MRSM Kuantan on Saturday 21 Feb. I wanted to try out for tennis. Unfortunately, the organizer cancelled tennis for women, I guess not enough women tennis players. There were 19 males trying out for ping pong and only 6 were selected. But for women, there were only 2 of us, a teacher from MRSM Bentong and yours truly! So we got in by default. The sports event is going to be held in Skudai (at UTM Campus) in June. I have been training with some KPTM lecturers and students every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday since I got selected. I hope we will win.

Our kids’ school had its award giving ceremony on Saturday 28 Feb, from 8am until 12.30pm. Everyone in our family went to see Danial, Yasmin, and Hannah receiving their awards. Harris didn’t get any awards but he performed a group song and a sketch on Palestine war. The night before Steve had to buy a toy gun for him because he acted as an Israeli soldier.






After the ceremony was over, we went home and brought Yasmin’s and Danial’s friends (Jaynina and her brother Aiman) to our house because their mother was not home. They stayed until after magrib. Steve baked pizzas for the kids and I cook tom yam for them. After eating our late lunch or early dinner, whichever you prefer to look at it, everyone except Steve, Yasmin, and Jaynina went to the Kolej to play some games. Danial, Aiman, and I played tennis. Harris, Hannah, and Najla just ran around the court having fun being kids. Later Steve, Yasmin, and Jaynina decided to walk to the Kolej and joined us. We went back just before magrib because Aiman’s and Jaynina’s father was coming to pick them (plus my kids) up. Danial, Yasmin, and Harris went home with them to stay overnight at their friends’ house.

After they left, Steve, Hannah, Najla, and I drove to Zetty Adela’s house somewhere in Semambu to attend her akad nikah. When we arrived at Zetty’s house, both Hannah and Najla were already asleep. In addition, the rain was poring hard. Steve told me to go ahead and attend while he stayed in the car baby sitting. How romantic of him for letting me enjoy myself while he sat in the dark, looking after sleeping kids, with no food around! Luckily he ate some left over pizza before we left our home. C’est la vie…

The akad nikah went well as they planned with some tears being shed by the bride, the groom, and their parents. Surprisingly I did too although I didn’t cry during my own wedding. Perhaps I am getting more sensitive as I get older. The food was plenty and delicious too. I would have stuffed my face a lot more if it was during the day.

No comments: